Massive Murray Paddle
Monday 20 - Friday 24 November 2017
The Massive Murray Paddle (MMP) is a classic paddle that has been running since 1969, with a variety of craft paddling 404km over 5 days from Yarrawonga to Swan Hill and is one of the longest flat-water races in the world.
With a focus on community, the Massive Murray Paddle brings together paddlers from a wide range of experience and paddle craft - from racing kayaks, canoes, outriggers, surf skis, sea kayaks and also novelty craft. There are serious competitors and people who are there for the experience and atmosphere (we are more of the latter!).
Whether you are in our team or looking to enter your own team / as an individual, we can help you with your preparation. To discuss any aspect of the Massive Murray Paddle contact us on 03 9597 0549 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The distances and course maps are similar to last year's (a few minor changes), with 4 to 5 relay legs of between 8 and 25km each day:
Yarrawonga to Tocumwal
Tocumwal to Picnic Point
Picnic Point to Echuca
Echuca to Torrumbarry
Murrabit to Swan Hill
2017 event maps will be available here when they have been released.
We are available to assist with preparation for you and your team - training, gear, advice and kayak hire. We will be running an information / training session with a Legend of the Murray, Bill Robinson.
We have a Mirage 532, Mirage 580 / 582 kayaks and Epic V7, V8, V8 Pro and V10 Sport surf skis available to hire for the event. Contact us if you need to hire a kayak for the event.
Prepare your Kayak and Gear
Whether you are using a surf ski, a Mirage or some other paddle craft, there are tips and tricks, as well as essential equipment, you should look at to make your marathon paddle as comfortable, safe and efficient as possible. View the video to see some of our modifications.
Join Our Team
We had a blast these last 3 years! Read our Blog for an account of our 2014 experience.
East Coast Kayaking is again entering a team in the Massive Murray Paddle (Murray Marathon). This year we will enter two kayaks in the relay - at least 8 paddlers, up to 12 (6 per Mirage 730 kayak - 2 or 3 pairs, swapping over at each stage).
How to register for next year:
- Email us at email@example.com confirming your wish to join us and we will send you a link to register
- Use the link to the Massive Murray Paddle registration page that we will send you to register and pay as a member of our team. Details for your entry below.
- Pay for your Team Accommodation, Food and Hire package and order a shirt (and a cap) - returning team-members are welcome to purchase additional shirts if they wish but it is the same as last year. Shirts will be presented in September.
Details of inclusions and exclusions below.
Team: East Coast Kayaking
Boat Class: Mirage 730 (M730)
Class: Open (age/gender grouping), 5 Day Relay 404km
Registration Fees: $275 (Super Early Bird - up to 31 March)
$335 (Early Bird 1 April - 30 September
$395 (1 October onwards)
Shirts - Team East Coast Kayaking Long Sleeve Polo Sun Smart shirt - cost $45. We may also have a team cap available this year - stay tuned!
Fundraising - it is a requirement of entry that each person nominates a charity - though this can be a school, community group or sporting club. Feel free to nominate your own cause and manage your own fundraising. Our charity of choice is Sale to Sea Disability Kayak Challenge. We will have a Everyday Hero page available for tax deductible donations that go directly to this charity.
MMP Team Expenses: Food accommodation and kayak hire package:
To facilitate team logistics we have put together a pre-paid package to cover 5 night’s accommodation, food (see below inclusions) and kayak hire. Cost is $315 . This package is available to purchase online at our Kayak Tours and Events page and should be purchased before the event.
What we provide: Double kayaks (Mirage 730)and safety gear.
As part of the package we will provide:
- Accommodation booking (camping grounds - powered & unpowered tent sites.)
- Catering - 5x lunches, one big breakfast (Picnic Point) and dinners on three nights (nights at Tocumwal, Picnic Point and the event dinner at Murrabit on Day 4)
- Kayak available for practice sessions leading up to the event (make some time to do some training in the doubles!)
- Assistance with logistics during the week - to help teams coordinate car shuffles. Assistance from non-paddling crew members
- Facilitate transport - help organise car-pooling to minimise number of cars on campsites and around the course as there is limited parking at checkpoints
- Chilled water at the checkpoints for refills
- Information sessions / Training Event with a Legend of the Murray
- We recommend you bring your own breakfast of choice to get you going for your big days. We are providing one big breakfast fry-up at Picnic Point on Day 3.
- Hydration system - we can advise on making your water bladder into a hands free drinking system so you don’t have to stop paddling to drink and don’t become dehydrated through not taking the time to drink!
- Dinner on arrival at Yarrawonga (own expense) - we usually go to the pub after the sign-in and opening ceremony
- Dinner in Echuca - there may be an event at Echuca Port as part of the celebrations and we will go out to dinner afterwards at the pub (own expense)
- BYO drinks. We all like a beer after a big day’s paddle!
- Transport (to, from & during the event) - we will help with organising car-pooling to minimise the number of vehicles required. Make your own arrangements re. fuel costs.
- Team shirt ($45). We are also planning on offering a cap this year as well.
We have some limited space to accommodate non-paddlers coming along to assist and support team members. To be part of the Support Team, contact us first, then purchase accommodation/food package, checking the Non-paddler/Own kayak option. For individual paddlers (not in the relay) you should bring a support person to assist you be self-sufficient on the water and getting to and from the start/finish line.
Other Paddling Options: Single kayak individual or relay - get a group together & either use your kayak or hire one of ours (Mirage 532 / 580 / 582). You can enter the Massive Murray Paddle as an individual and paddle the whole thing but relays are easier, friendly and in a double very do-able! If you haven’t done the MMP before we recommend a relay! Contact us to discuss this option at firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 9597 0549.
To be part of our team but paddling your own kayak, contact us to discuss, then check the Food only or Food & Camping option when purchasing your MMP Team Expenses package.